Friday, August 31, 2012

STOP!!! | Personal Growth | Hanover Growth Photographer

If you are a returning reader of my blog you know I talk about my kids all the time! Like really you would think I do nothing else in my life but watch my kids. I like to call it Crazy Mom Syndrome, and guess what America I got it! (hehehe) But TODAY I want to talk about Me! Wait that's a country song, great now I will be singing that song for a week!

Well As any blogger knows it is not easy to talk about yourself! Am I right? Looking in is super hard to do for the world to read. So what should I talk about? How I have become a Big Brother 14 Stalker over night OR maybe how I am totally a Tom Boy at heart, and a lot less glitzy on the outside...

No I think today I want to talk about my Struggles in becoming a Professional Photographer. Recently I have found that I am having Photographers (Pro & Moms) coming to me for advise, for help, and for a confidence boost! I can say I never thought my Business would be more than Just a Portrait & Wedding Photographer but I am super excited to possible expand my business into Helping other photographers. 

Before I can help anyone else with their Photography or Business I have to tell my story and that means all of it!

In January of 2011 I was flirting with the idea of being a photographer, right still flirting? I had photographed some friends started to build a small portfolio/ having a lot of fun stepping out side of my protected box. (side note I was working full time for the VA Lottery and a tech rep) 


 
October & January of 2010

From there I found out that I was expecting my Son Julian! I was so super excited my chance to carry & mother a son of my very own. I have 2 sons Cody who is from my Husband's first Marriage who lives with my 100% of the time &  Julian who will be turning 1 in just a little over a month! (SNAP their I go bragging about my boys again!)

Ine May of 2011 I found myself out of a full time job and thinking WOW really? I am 5 months pregnant and you demand me to what? that's right for anyone who knows me personally you know that I am a very head strong person. So I left my full time job to care for my boy full time. I also come to start thinking What can't Photography be my Business? What can't I be a professional Photographer?

There is no reason I can't!!!

For the first 6 months I still would not call myself a Professional Photographer, I was just a mom that had a good camera in my eyes. I was so unsure of myself that I wouldn't even tell people I take photos for my living. I would simply tell people that I was a "Stay at home Mommy". Looking back I can say that was a big big mistake on my part. I was building what I now call a "not good enough" business. I thought I could build this amazing Photography business with only people I already knew.

I was WRONG!!!!!

So when 2012 rang in a new year I knew it was time to pull my self up, to stop comparing myself to all the other photographers in Richmond, to stop going to other low level photographers for help. It was time to bring in a Real Business consultant. Because lets face it I know just a little about business I know enough to get me by. (at that point)

So I made the best decision I have ever made!!!! I contracted Kate Smith with Studio Trainer to help me build my business!


I have been working with Kate for almost 12 months now. Since then I have taken my business to new highs. I know I have said it before but I can't not say it. Last year at this time I thought I would be closing the doors on Hildebrandt Photography by the end of this Summer. BUT NO look at me I am having to turn away business, I am telling some brides, "I'm so sorry that I can't be your Wedding Photographer. I am already booked with another lovely bride that day."

WOW!!!!

Now don't get me wrong I am far from expanding into being a Business consultant. (If ever) But I am know I am taking the first steps into becoming an AWESOME Large Profiting Business Owner!

How Have I do that? In 2012 I alone have dedicated my year to learning all that I can about my Profession...

I have Hired The Studio Trainer
I have taken 2 e-workshops with Rachel Brenke Photography
I have even taken an In Person workshop from Rachel Brenke Photography
I have Bought & Read over 20 Photography Books
&
I have found an amazing Local Professional Photography Group that allows me to learn and grow! & from that this is  now the quality of work that I am producing:

June 2012 (Sara's got a Bump)
October 2011 (4 days after having Julian)

July 2012 (Julian Cole)

I have no plan to stop learning or growing as a photographer and I have decided that the next step I need to take, Starting in  2013 I will be enrolled in College again for my Bachelor Degree in Small Business with a Minor in Marketing. (Wow that is the first time I have said that out load. Well in type to the world!) I am a little scared but I know that if I have not given up yet and come as far as I have in this business I can do this, I can finish school & be a force of Amazing!



So I will leave you with some food for thought...


It is the worst thing you will do as a Photographer & Business Owner.


No comments:

Post a Comment